Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 8 of Under the Dome, titled Awakening, where Barbie catches someone tailing him, and someone seems to have it out for Big Jim! Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Under the Dome episode recap for Awakening? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Under the Dome episode, Awakening, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 8: Awakening
- Big Jim, who has taken over as Sheriff, stops by Rebecca’s house to give her a walkie talkie and apologize. Later, Rebecca calls Jim over to the Sweetbriar, where someone has cut down and destroyed the windmill. Just then, Junior gets a call about a fire, and the three go to investigate. They find a car fire under one of Big Jim’s car dealership signs, and Big Jim thinks it’s a pattern.
- Barbie’s dad offers to get an email through to Julia for him, and he has it sent to Joe’s email address. Joe and Norrie, who are at the school, immediately go show the email to Julia. However, we see that a line is added to the email telling her to bring the egg with her. They go back to the school, but the signal is gone.
- At the psychiatric hospital, Lyle is now repeating the phrase “It’s in the cards.” Pauline convinces Sam to help her administer an experimental drug to Lyle. It works, and they explain to him that he’s in Zenith. He tells Pauline that “It’s in the cards” was referring to the postcards he had with him when he went over the cliff. They go through the postcards, and Pauline realizes there’s one more she drew that she didn’t get to send: a red door.
- While Barbie goes to wait at the playground, someone monitoring a security camera recognizes him. When Barbie leaves the playground, the guy follows him, and Barbie confronts him. He seems to know a lot about Barbie, and reveals that Barbie’s dad doctored the email to Julia.
- The guy directs Barbie to log into his dad’s computer and insert a jump drive. The guy is part of the Hounds of Diana, his website to tell the world it’s being lied to about the dome. Barbie sees the real email that his dad sent, and realizes he can’t let Julia jump. Barbie distracts his dad while the guy extracts files from the computer, including pictures of Julia.
- Barbie’s dad brings him to his business, Acteon Energy, and Barbie is surprised to meet Hunter, the guy he was working with earlier. They send another email to Julia. Meanwhile, Julia and the kids go down into the tunnel so that Julia can drop a note to Barbie asking a question in order to prove it was really him that sent the email. Just then, they get another email from Barbie, from which Julia can deduce that it’s really him, and that he doesn’t want her to jump, but instead to meet face to face.
- Later, Barbie confronts Hunter and demands that he find a way to get him to the dome. Barbie arrives at the restricted area, and uses an ID card to get through. Then he sneakily climbs underneath a military truck and hangs on to the bottom so that he can get closer to the dome.
- Big Jim makes a list with Rebecca and Junior of people he thinks could have destroyed the windmill and started the car fire. They split up to go talk to those people. Big Jim pulls Julia over to give her a walkie talkie as she is on her way to Joe’s house. Junior and Rebecca question Tom Tilden, whose pigs were sick.
- Back at the police station, Phil knocks Big Jim out and handcuffs him to a jail cell. Junior and Rebecca show up, and Junior helps fight Phil off. Big Jim locks Phil in the jail cell.
- Julia waits at the dome by Joe’s house for Barbie. He finally arrives, but the military isn’t far behind. He writes a message to her that it isn’t safe over there, and not to jump. Meanwhile, Big Jim watches what’s going on through binoculars.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 8 of Under the Dome: Awakening
Yeah, so Barbie’s dad seems pretty shady. What does he know about the egg, and why does he want it? What does it do? What would happen if it’s taken outside of the dome? Apparently he’s been monitoring them inside of the dome, with all of the pictures that he had on his computer of Julia and others in Chester’s Mill. What is his role in all of this? Better yet, what is his company’s role in all this? Does Acteon Energy merely want to harvest energy from the egg somehow and make money from it being a power source, or something like that?
In any case, I found this whole episode to be very far-fetched, as far as Julia actually believing and knowing that it was in fact Barbie who sent the messages to her, and that she knew exactly what he meant by them, and even further, that Barbie was actually able to get to the dome so easily, and knew exactly where he needed to go to meet Julia. So now that Big Jim saw this whole exchange, and knows that not only is Barbie still alive, but that he somehow got outside of the dome, what’s he going to do with this information?
So we learn that this Hunter guy, who’s a hacker, is behind the Hounds of Diana website. That’s the same site from which Pauline’s message to Junior was sent. I suppose we are to presume that Hunter and Pauline are somehow working together. But to do what exactly?
I’ve mentioned before that I read the Stephen King novel awhile back, but the way things are going in the show now, nothing is familiar. It’s all completely new, and I have no idea where it’s going. I guess that’s a good thing.
Josh’s Thoughts: Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 8: Awakening
Scenes from Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 9, The Red Door
Here are scenes from the next episode of Under the Dome, titled The Red Door: