Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 10 of Under the Dome, titled The Fall, in which there are some happy reunions, but it also seems like everyone is after the egg! Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Under the Dome episode recap for The Fall? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Under the Dome episode, The Fall, click here to get directly there!
Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 10: The Fall Recap Overview
- Pauline explains to Big Jim that Lyle helped her fake her death, and that she left because she thought the dome would follow her. Jim tells Pauline that he wants to be a family again. Meanwhile, the temperature in the dome is dropping. Julia and Barbie have a heartfelt reunion. Norrie and Joe realize that the egg is gone, and that Melanie must have taken it, so they go looking for it.
- Melanie kisses Junior in the fallout shelter, where they have hidden the egg. After Melanie leaves, Angie appears to Junior and tells him to think about what he’s doing, and not to follow his heart. Sam finds Melanie and tells her that it was Lyle who pushed her that night, and apologizes for everything.
- Barbie explains to Julia and Rebecca how he left Chester’s Mill and got back, but that Lyle didn’t make it. They decide to meet at the Sweetbriar with other key people to make a plan to get everyone out. Julia makes a case to Barbie not to leave the dome. However, he talks her into it when he agrees to let her go through first to negotiate, with him bringing the egg through last. However, Melanie doesn’t want to give them the egg.
- Joe and Norrie meet Hunter at the school, who builds a device to help them track down the egg. Joe insists on he and Norrie going alone to find the egg. Phil overhears them talking about how to get out of Chester’s Mill.
- Barbie realizes that he and Melanie played together as children, and that his father is also her father, making them brother and sister. She agrees to go to Sweetbriar Rose to hear them out about bringing the egg over. Barbie, Melanie, Julia, and Rebecca meet with Andrea and Tom at Sweetbriar about the plan. Andrea says she wants to see where Big Jim stands, but Tom says he’s in.
- Junior and his mom are reunited. When Junior leaves to go to the police station, Pauline hears the egg painfully shrieking in her head.
- Big Jim shows up at Sweetbriar and announces he’s part of the plan. They agree to let him go first as long as his family stays behind. Big Jim returns home to find Pauline painting a picture. She seems to be going crazy, so he locks her in her studio. He hears the egg shrieking, and finds it in the fallout shelter, but when he touches it, it zaps him and sends him flying against the wall.
- Barbie confirms to Julia that he wants her in his life once they get out of the dome. Melanie agrees to take them to the egg. Meanwhile, Joe and Norrie find the egg at the fallout shelter, and it stops screaming. Big Jim pulls his gun on Joe to force Norrie to give the egg to him. Hunter overhears Big Jim forcing Norrie and Joe to go down into the tunnel.
- Junior goes to Sam’s cabin and confronts him at gunpoint, then beats him up. He is just about to kill Sam with an ax, when Angie appears and tells him to stop, because Sam still has a part to play.
- When Big Jim knocks the egg out of Norrie’s hands off the cliff, all of Chester’s Mill begins to shake like an earthquake. Melanie, Barbie, and Julia find the egg missing from the fallout shelter, and Melanie collapses. They bring Melanie to Sam for medical attention, and he stabilizes her.
- Hunter helps Norrie and Joe climb out of the tunnel. Big Jim runs home to Pauline, and tells her that he threw the egg over the cliff, to which she is devastated. Meanwhile, Phil managed to get out of his cell during the earthquake, and has run and jumped off the cliff. However, when Barbie and Julia go down to investigate, there is now a visible bottom to the cliff – and they see Phil’s dead body at the bottom, pierced by a stalagmite.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 10 of Under the Dome: The Fall
This episode contained some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen on the show, which as I’ve discussed before, has some pretty bad acting in general. Dean Norris, who plays Big Jim, is usually a very good actor, as we’ve seen evidenced on Breaking Bad. However, in the scene where he finds Pauline painting in her studio, then locks her in there, it was some pretty bad acting on both parts. The only thing I can chalk it up to was that Dean Norris was playing off the bad acting of the actress who plays Pauline. Or maybe this show just lowers the caliber of acting for all the actors on this show in general. It’s just becoming almost unbearable to watch.
As for the storyline, did anyone else feel a little awkward when Melanie and Junior kissed? It’s like, ew, that’s your ex-boyfriend’s nephew, for one, and also, that’s the place where Junior kept Angie imprisoned. And now it’s sort of a little love nest for Junior and Melanie. At least now we know where Junior got the idea about locking up the woman he loves, or claims to love – from his father, who it seems had made a habit of locking Pauline in her studio. Anyway, so then Angie appears to Junior, first telling him not to follow his heart, then telling him not to kill Sam. What did that even mean, for Junior not to follow his heart? Not to go after Melanie?
Speaking of Melanie and awkwardness, I also felt uncomfortable when Sam was talking to Melanie and he took her hand. I mean, I guess she’s supposed to be, what, 17? And he’s much older now. It just felt creepy. This is also the first time that Melanie and Sam have spoken since Melanie remembered who she was. It was about time that it happened, it kind of felt like too little, too late.
Then, of course, the big thing that happened this episode was that Big Jim knocked the egg into the pit, thereby causing the portal between Chester’s Mill and Zenith to close. Good job, Big Jim. So, does that mean the egg went through and the “bad guys” got it? What are they going to do with it? And what are the consequences of the egg no longer being in the dome? Oh, and the other big story from this episode was that it turns out that Barbie and Melanie are brother and sister, and that they have the same father. The bad guy. Wonder how this will factor into things…
Josh’s Thoughts: Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 10: The Fall
I am getting kind of over Under the Dome. I just am not understanding the actions of most of the characters, and am finding the acting kind of odd. It just doesn’t seem to make any sense.
I am not really sure why Hunter would want to go into the dome. I would think people would want to stay outside of it, not really want to go inside. Also, why is Angie randomly back in a vision talking to Junior? I feel like the show has a lot of “convenient” plot twists that force the story the way the writers want it to go. It feels like specific things happen, only because the story makes it seem that it should be that way. Nothing feels as if it were to happen fluidly in the show.
And why do people continuously follow Big Jim? Even Barbie and Julia didn’t seem to think twice about letting Big Jim go first through the portal. If their plan would have worked, it was pretty obvious that Big Jim would figure out how to get himself, possibly his family through and forget everyone else. Frustrating to watch.
Pauline’s “migraine-ish” thing from the dome seemed rather cheesy, and the acting really bothered me on that as well. It just was not convincing at all.
And one final thing that bothered me–No one went back to the river to look for Lyle? They all assume he either drowned or made it out first–but no one seems all that concerned with finding him. It is so weird how everyone has kind of resolved to be done with him. Ah well. I guess I will trudge on with tonight’s episode…
Scenes from Under the Dome, Season 2 Episode 11, Black Ice
Here are scenes the next episode of Under the Dome, titled Black Ice: