Violet recaps Season 1 Episode 7 of The Leftovers, titled Solace for Tired Feet, where Kevin’s father breaks out of the psychiatric hospital, and Tom discovers that Wayne has been keeping a big secret from him! Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Leftovers episode recap for Solace for Tired Feet? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s The Leftovers episode, Solace for Tired Feet, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of The Leftovers, Season 1 Episode 7: Solace for Tired Feet
- The G.R. tears down posters with Gladys’s face, reading “Save Them,” which have been plastered all over town.
- Jill plays a game with her friends where they try to break the record of who can stay locked inside of an airtight old refrigerator the longest. Jill breaks the record, but when they try to release her, the handle breaks off, and they can’t open the door. Her grandpa happens by and opens the door. He tells her not to tell her dad she saw him.
- Tom is holed up in Gary, Indiana with Christine, when he gets a call from Wayne, who tells him to take half of the $6,000 he has, and stick it under a mailbox at a specific location in town.
- Meanwhile, Kevin and Nora have been dating, and she invites him over. When they get to her house, Meg and another G.R. member are waiting outside. Nora sprays them with a hose. After they go inside, they realize that the G.R. ruined the mood, and decide to try again the next night.
- When Kevin gets home, Jill asks if her grandpa hurt anyone. Kevin tells her that he did, and she tells him he escaped. The police go out searching for him. Kevin’s first stop is the mayor’s house, but she says she hasn’t talked to him for a month. Kevin goes home and dozes off while listening to the police scanner. He seems to have a weird dream about a dog trapped in a mailbox, his son slamming the front door, and the dead bodies of his wife and other G.R. members in the back of the dog killer’s truck.
- The next morning, Kevin wakes up with his hand bandaged, and a dog tied up in the back yard, barking. Aimee explains to Jill that Kevin brought the dog home last night so he could rehabilitate it, and that she bandaged up his hand when the dog bit it.
- Kevin gets a call that his dad got into some trouble at the library. Books are scattered everywhere, and an orderly tells Kevin that his dad was at the computer and needed $200 because he was trying to get something for his son.
- Tom makes the drop, then sits in his car waiting to see who comes to pick up the money from the mailbox.
- Jill sees her grandpa in the back yard with the dog. She invites him in, and they talk. He asks to borrow $200, and for some tranquilizers for the dog. Kevin arrives then, as Jill had called him before she let her grandpa in. He puts the cuffs on himself. Jill finds a note he left behind, and uses her friend’s credit card to order something online. As Kevin drives him back to the institution, his dad jumps out of the car and runs off.
- Tom follows the guy who picked up the money back to a motel. He busts into the room thinking he’ll find Wayne there, but finds another pregnant Asian girl. The two guys figure out Wayne said the same thing to both of them: “This girl is everything.” The girl starts shooting, and saying that her baby was supposed to be “the bridge,” which is what Christine mentioned earlier.
- When Kevin gets home, Jill is out, but Aimee is there. She calls him out on not remembering what happened last night with the dog. Kevin distracts the dog with some meat, and finds the hole behind the barbecue grill, where he finds the money and one of Matt’s flyers. Kevin figures out that his dad is with Matt, who tells him to meet them at a diner.
- At the diner, Kevin’s dad convinces him to uncuff him. He gives Kevin the May 1972 issue of National Geographic, telling him that he needs to “accept it,” meanwhile talking to his voices, who are the ones who told him to give it to Kevin. When Kevin tells him he won’t accept it, his dad hits him in the face and starts to get violent. Kevin cuffs him and brings him back to the institution. His dad whispers in his hear, “They’re not going to let you off that easy, son.”
- Kevin drives over to Nora’s house, where Meg and the other G.R. member are standing outside. Kevin and Nora have sex. Meg goes back to Laurie and informs her about Kevin and Nora, but Laurie replies, “So?” Kevin confides in Nora that he thinks he might be going crazy.
- When Kevin returns home, he finds the May 1972 issue of National Geographic on the counter. Jill says she ordered it for Grandpa because she saw it on a note he left.
- Tom gets a call from Wayne, but destroys the phone. When he returns to Christine, he finds her in the bathtub with her newborn daughter.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 1 Episode 7 of The Leftovers: Solace for Tired Feet
This episode was definitely on the crazy side. Or supernatural side. I’m not really sure. It’s kind of hard to tell with this show! Is Kevin’s dad crazy, or isn’t he? Who are the voices that he speaks to? What is it they want him to do, exactly? What is it that they want Kevin to do? Is this all in Grandpa Garvey’s mind, or is there something else going on? What does the May 1972 National Geographic have to do with anything?? Was that when Kevin was born, perhaps?
But there also seems to be the hint of supernatural going on again, as it seems like too much of a coincidence that Jill’s grandpa just happened to come by right at the exact moment to be able to release her from the refrigerator. And judging by Jill’s reaction to her grandpa’s explanation, it also seems like there have been other similar instances wherein he happened to know something that it seems like he shouldn’t have known.
It seems pretty clear that Kevin is starting to go crazy, if it wasn’t clear already. The guy gets way too many blackouts. It appears that the medication he is taking is only exacerbating the problem. But at the same time, some of the stuff from his visions or dreams or whatever seems to have a ring of truth to them. Why would he have a dream about a mailbox and Tom, when across the country, Tom was doing something that involved a mailbox? It seems like there’s some sort of connection going on. What’s up with this rehabilitation plan for the dog?
And finally, we find out that Christine is not the only pregnant Asian girl carrying Wayne’s child. There’s another girl and handler out there doing the same thing that Christine and Tom are doing. Are there even more than them, I wonder? Apparently each girl thinks she’s the only one, that her baby will be “the bridge” – whatever that means. That other girl got pretty pissed off when she found out about Christine. What is the significance of this baby? The “bridge” to what? I want to know!
Only 3 episodes left this season. I hope we start getting some answers to all these questions soon!
Josh’s Thoughts: The Leftovers, Season 1 Episode 7: Solace for Tired Feet
Scenes from The Leftovers, Season 1 Episode 8: Cairo
Here are scenes from the next episode of The Leftovers, titled Cairo: