The seventh annual Long Beach Comic Con takes place at the Long Beach Convention Center this weekend, September 12-13, 2015! The convention will host over 175 guests, 100 panels, 300 artist alley exhibitors, and more than 475 exhibitors! Read on for some of the highlights of this year’s Long Beach Comic Con.
Some of the celebrity guests include Chloe Bennet (Agents of SHIELD), John Barrowman (Doctor Who/Torchwood, Arrow), Sam Witwer (Being Human), Nicholas Brendon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and Peter Shinkoda and Tommy Walker (Daredevil), who will be signing autographs and doing photo ops. Over 150 comic book writers and artists will be in attendance, including Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo), Marc Silvestri (Top Cow), Len Wein (Swamp Thing), and Marv Wolfman (New Teen Titans).
Saturday, September 12 Highlights
- Faceoff: F/X Makeup, Room 101B, 10:30am – 11:30am Cast members from FaceOff, and the lead FX artist from hit TV show Teen Wolf (Keaghlan Ashley, Cig Neutron, Niko Gonzales, and Cat Paschen)
- Psychology of Daredevil, Room 104A, 10:30am – 12:00pm Dr. Andrea Letamendi, who has a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Christos Gage and Ruth Fletcher Gage, writers on Netflix’s original Daredevil series, and actors Tommy Walker (Francis) and Peter Shinkoda (Nobu) discuss the intersection of psychology and comic books, specifically focusing on the characters they write and play on Daredevil
- Couples Therapy with Marc & Tara, Room 104A, 12:00pm – 1:00pm KROQ’s Ralph Garman talks with Hollywood power couple Tara Butters (Agent Carter showrunner) and Marc Guggenheim (Arrow showrunner)
- Adventures in Voice Acting, Room 102A, 2:30pm – 3:30pm Join BTVA Voice Actress and Actor of the Year, Jessica DiCicco and Eric Bauza for a crash course in voice acting! They will be performing select scenes from Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Uncle Grandpa, and TMNT live on stage, and will be casting people from the audience to read along side them as the main characters from the shows.
- Breaking Into Hollywood, Room 104A, 3:00pm – 4:30pm A conversation with Ralph Garman (Batman ‘66 Meets The Green Hornet), Joshua Fialkov (Afro Samurai: Resurrection), Marc Guggenheim (Arrow) and Kyle Higgins (The League), moderated by Aaron Couch, LA Digital News Editor of People Magazine
- The Death of “Superman Lives”: What Happened?, Room 101A, 4:00pm – 5:00pmDirector Jon Schnepp and producer Holly Payne
- How to Conquer the Animation World, Room 104A, 4:30pm – 6:00pm with James Ganiere (CEO at Rio Vista Universal), Dean DeBlois (writer and director of How to Train Your Dragon 3), Mike Morris (Animator for The Simpsons), Terran Gregory (Project Director at Blizzard Entertainment) and Forrest Whaley (ForrestFire101 – Maker Studio/YouTube)
- Captain Marvel, Room 102B/C, 5:00pm – 6:00pm Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas, the showrunners of Agent Carter, are the new writers of Carol’s adventures, with Kris Anka providing art.
- Cosplay Contest, Room 104A, 7:30pm Seating begins at 7:00pm
Sunday, September 13 Highlights
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Room 104A, 10:30am – 11:30am TV and comics collide during this panel with Christos Gage, Megan Levens and Nicholas Brendon (Xander)
- Star Wars, Room 104A, 12:30pm – 2:00pm with Brian Miller, illustrator for Topps, novelist Cecil Castellucci (Star Wars: Moving Target), and Stuart Immonen, artist for Marvel’s Star Wars comic books
- John Barrowman Q&A, Room 104B, 1:00pm – 2:00pm You know him as Captain Jack Harkness on Doctor Who/Torchwood and Malcolm Merlyn on Arrow
- Dark Horse Comics, Room 102 B/C, 2:00pm – 3:00pm Dennis Culver (Dark Horse Presents), Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo), and Megan Levens (Buffy)
- Writing for TV, Room 104A, 2:00pm-3:30pm Jeff King (White Collar), Shernold Edwards (Sleepy Hollow), Steven Seagle and Joe Kelly (Man of Action Studios)
- Marvel Comics, Room 103B/C, 3:00pm – 4:30pm Dennis Culver (Secret Wars: E is for Extinction), Juan Gedeon (Ghost Racers), Felipe Smith (Ghost Racers), Scott Koblish (Deadpool) and Kathryn Immonen (Operation S.I.N.: Agent Carter)
- Inaugural Long Beach Space Expo The Columbia Memorial Space Center is partnering with Long Beach Comic Con for Space Expo 2015. Panels will be held all day on both Saturday and Sunday in Room 103A featuring top aerospace industry notables discussing hot button scientific topics, and there will be interactive exhibits in the Exhibit Hall featuring robotics, 3D printing, and even a spacesuit – all curated by Columbia Memorial Space Center, which is located in Downey, CA.
- GeekFest Film Fest Screenings of full length feature films, short films, web series and fan films all day each day in Room 202A, which you can vote on throughout the weekend, and ending with an Awards presentation with special guests on Sunday afternoon
Several cosplay fan favorites will be at Long Beach Comic Con, including Nicole Marie Jean, Vampy Bit Me, and Vegas Power Girl, plus there’s a section of the Exhibit Hall devoted to cosplay, called Cosplay Corner. Of course, there are also panels throughout the weekend focused on cosplay.
If you will be cosplaying, take note of the following cosplay group photo meetups, which all take place on the front steps of the convention center:
3:30pm SHIELD 50th Anniversary
2:30pm Doctor Who
If you don’t already have tickets, you can get them at the door for $55 for a weekend pass, $35 for a Saturday ticket, or $30 for a Sunday ticket. Children ages 10 and under are free with the purchase of an adult admission (limit 2 per adult).