Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 13 of Arrow, titled Heir to the Demon, where Sara gets a visit from a member of the League of Assassins, and Felicity discovers some information about Moira! Following the recap, Violet shares her thoughts on the episode.
Episode Recap of Arrow, Season 2 Episode 13: Heir to the Demon
- A woman arrives at the airport, and beats down security officers when she is flagged at Customs. Felicity reports to Walter that there has been activity on Moira’s bank account she had flagged. Oliver visits Laurel at the hospital, where he finds Mr. and Mrs. Lance. Something is wrong with Laurel’s eye.
- In a flashback to the Lance household 6 years ago, Sara returns home from college for the weekend and is secretly texting Oliver. In the present, Officer Lance meets up with Sara and tells her that Laurel saw her.
- Arrow witnesses a kiss between Sara and the woman from Customs, whose name is Nyssa, and who is Ra’s al Ghul’s daughter. Nyssa has come to bring Sara back with her to the League of Assassins, but Arrow disagrees.
- Felicity confronts Moira and confirms that Malcolm Merlyn is Thea’s father. Sara tells Nyssa she can’t go back with her, and that she doesn’t love her anymore. Diggle discovers that Laurel didn’t OD, she was poisoned with snake venom, and Oliver concludes that Nyssa did it to draw Sara back to Starling City. Sara realizes her family is in danger.
- In the flashback to the Lance household, Laurel tells Sara that she and Oliver are moving in together, while Sara texts Oliver about meeting up at the docks. In the present, Nyssa kidnaps Mrs. Lance, and Oliver and Sara chase after her by motorcycle, but she gets away. Sara tells her father what happened.
- Nyssa calls Sara and tells her she has one day to make the right choice. In the flashback, Laurel and her father see a news report about the Queen boat going missing. In the present, Felicity finds the license plate number and address of the thieves who stole the snakes from the zoo to use their venom.
- Blood warns Moira to get out of the mayoral race, but she doesn’t back down. Arrow, Sara, and Lance go to the address in the Glades and fight Nyssa’s man, but he commits suicide before they get any info about the whereabouts of Nyssa and Mrs. Lance.
- Sara tells Nyssa she will return with her, then tells her father to meet her and not to bring Arrow. Oliver makes a speech endorsing his mother’s run for mayor, despite knowing her secret, which Felicity told him. Having placed a tracer on Sara, Arrow heads to her location.
- Mrs. Lance and Sara have an emotional reunion, then Sara tells her dad to take her away. Sara collapses to the floor because she has taken the poison. Nyssa is distraught. The Lances run back in and call for backup. Arrow shows up and fights with Nyssa, who was about to kill the Lances.
- Arrow tells Nyssa that he can save Sara, but she ignores him. He gets Nyssa in a headlock, but Sara begs him not to kill her. Sara collapses, but Oliver gives her the antidote, and she is okay. Nyssa releases Sara in the name of Ra’s al Ghul. Laurel arrives and sees her sister alive.
- Oliver confronts Moira and tells her he will keep up appearances, but privately they are done. Laurel is angry at Sara and blames her for everything that has gone wrong. In the flashback, Moira delivers the news to the Lances that Sara was on board.
- Slade is not happy about Moira running for mayor, but tells Blood to do nothing, and that he’ll take care of it. Sara returns to the Arrow Cave, and she and Oliver kiss and begin to get it on.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 13 of Arrow: Heir to the Demon
Yeah, not buying that ending. Between Oliver and Sara, that is. I feel like there is no chemistry at all between the two, so the kiss seemed to come out of nowhere to me. I mean, logically, I can see that the show has been trying to set up in our minds that Oliver and Sara have a history, and that they have feelings for each other. First the flashback incident with Oliver supposedly choosing Sara over Shado (which still doesn’t seem to me like that was what happened). Then in another flashback, Sara talks about how she had such a crush on Oliver, and things might have gone farther if Laurel hadn’t sabotaged her and gotten her grounded. Now in this episode, how they remind us that Oliver invited Sara on the boat instead of Laurel, and then toward the end of the episode as he’s giving Sara the antidote, how Oliver says that he doesn’t want to lose her again. So yes, on paper that sounds plausible. However, it just doesn’t come across on screen for me. The actress who plays Sara is not very good, at least in this role. I just find her really annoying.
So yeah, I was hoping Sara would go with Nyssa back to the League of Assassins, and we would get rid of her this episode, but no such luck. Looks like she’ll be sticking around for good, now that she and Oliver are apparently an item, and it looks like she’s officially a member of the Arrow team. I don’t know if I’m going to like this show very much anymore if she’s a permanent cast member now, rather than just a recurring role. I don’t read the comics, but I know that Black Canary is supposed to be sort of a big deal in Green Arrow, so I suppose it was inevitable that Sara’s presence would increase as Black Canary. In theory, that’s really cool that we’ll be having a powerful female superhero around from now on, but I just wish they would have gotten a better actress to play her.
Will Oliver and Sara carry on their relationship in the real world, or just privately as Arrow and Black Canary? Will they even have a relationship, or was what happened this episode just a one time thing? If they do carry their relationship into the real world, what will Laurel’s reaction be?
By the way, where is Roy? He had this huge breakthrough episode last time, and yet, he’s nowhere to be found in this episode. Kinda weird.
Well, here’s hoping this show remains watchable.
Scenes from Arrow, Season 2 Episode 14: Time of Death
Here are scenes from the next episode of Arrow, titled Time of Death:
What did you think of Arrow, Season 2 Episode 13: Heir to the Demon? Share your thoughts in the comments below!