Violet recaps Season 4 Episode 13 of The Walking Dead, titled Alone, where Sasha, Bob, and Maggie disagree over whether to go to Terminus, and Daryl and Beth find a well kept house! Following the recap, Violet shares her thoughts on the episode.
Episode Recap of The Walking Dead, Season 4 Episode 13: Alone
- We get a flashback of Bob surviving alone, then see how he initially met up with Daryl and Glenn as they found him while driving down the road. In the present, Bob, Maggie, and Sasha are back to back in the fog, fighting off a herd of walkers. Bob seems to have been bitten, but it only got his bandage.
- Daryl is teaching Beth how to track and use a crossbow, when she steps on a bear trap and Daryl has to save her from the walker that was her target. Meanwhile, Maggie discovers that their compass is broken. Daryl gives Beth a piggyback ride due to her hurt foot. Beth sees a grave marked “Beloved Father” and stops to mourn. She holds hands with Daryl.
- Maggie, Bob, and Sasha come across a Terminus sign at the railroad tracks. Bob recalls hearing a message on the radio about Terminus. Maggie thinks Glenn would go looking for her at Terminus. The group decides to head there, despite Sasha’s protests.
- Daryl and Beth enter a house, where it seems like a mortician has recently been at work, dressing up walker corpses. While Maggie is gathering firewood, Sasha tries to convince Bob that Glenn is probably dead, and they should stop at the next town and take refuge in higher ground. Daryl and Beth find a stash of food in the cabinet, and decide only to take a little, and leave the rest for whoever put it there.
- Beth plays the piano and sings, as Daryl lays in the coffin and listens. When Sasha and Bob wake up in the morning, they find that Maggie is gone, and has written a note in the dirt: “Don’t risk your lives 4 me. Good luck.” Bob is determined to catch up to her, and Sasha reluctantly complies. Maggie kills a walker and uses its blood to write a note telling Glenn to go to Terminus. Bob and Sasha later find the note.
- Daryl hears a noise outside, but it’s just a dog, and it runs away. Bob calls Sasha out on thinking Tyreese is dead, or being afraid that he is. Daryl suggests to Beth that they stay at the house for awhile, and if someone comes back, they make it work. Beth realizes that it was because of her that Daryl changed his mind and now thinks there are still good people.
- Their moment is interrupted when Daryl hears the dog whine, but when he opens the door, a herd of walkers comes pouring through. Daryl tells Beth to pack her stuff and go, while he fights them off. When he fights past the walkers and gets outside, he sees Beth’s bag and its contents spilling out on the ground, and a car quickly drives away.
- Sasha and Bob continue to follow the train tracks, and come across another blood message from Maggie to Glenn. Daryl runs down the road in the direction where the car that took Beth. Eventually, he gets exhausted and sits down in the middle of the road. Sasha tries to convince Bob to stop with her in a town, but he decides to continue on alone to find Maggie. He kisses her before he goes.
- As Sasha begins to settle in to the upstairs area of an empty building, she looks outside and sees Maggie lying on the ground. The window frame drops and glass shatters, attracting walkers to come out from their hiding places and attack. Sasha runs down and helps Maggie fight them off. Maggie reveals that she overheard what Sasha said to Bob, and that she was waiting for them.
- Sasha agrees to go with Maggie to catch up with Bob and go to Terminus. A gang of drifters finds Daryl, and he reluctantly joins them. Sasha and Maggie catch up to Bob. Glenn comes across a sign for Terminus.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 4 Episode 13 of The Walking Dead: Alone
I enjoyed this episode more than the previous episode, probably because there was a lot more going on now that we were watching Bob, Sasha, and Maggie in addition to Beth and Daryl. I liked that we finally got to see some of Bob’s background story, and how he met up with the group. I also liked that we got to see Rick’s “Three Questions” in action when they found Bob. I’m not sure that we’ve ever seen someone answer these questions. I remember in the episode where Rick and Carol found that young guy and girl in a house when they went on a supply run, Rick started to ask the questions, but I don’t believe we heard the answers.
A lot of romance blooming in this episode, with Bob making flirty remarks to Sasha, and eventually kissing her, and with Daryl giving Beth a piggyback ride, and carrying her around the house, and him being too shy to admit that she was what changed his mind about there still being good people. I still want to know how old Beth is supposed to be, because sometimes her interactions with Daryl seem cute, but sometimes they seem creepy if she’s supposed to be a young teenager! It seemed like things might have gone a little further between Daryl and Beth if they hadn’t been interrupted by the dog barking. My only explanation for Daryl opening the door without bothering to check first is because he was still too smitten from his moment with Beth to think straight. Because that was pretty stupid of him.
I’m glad Maggie, Bob, and Sasha all decided to stick together in the end and head to Terminus, and that we see Glenn at the end of the episode coming across a Terminus sign. I’m guessing that the season finale will end with all of the groups arriving at Terminus, having each taken a different route. It’s interesting that the groups got split up that much that they’re following different railroad tracks in. I didn’t realize they were that far apart. The only wildcard group in this situation is Beth and Daryl, who are now split up. Who was in the car that took Beth? Was it the person who was staying at the house? Why did they take her? Where are they taking her? To Terminus maybe? And what’s up with this group that found Daryl? They seem like they’re bad news, but maybe the show is just trying to throw us off. At this point, it seems like they’re the kind of people Daryl would have hung out with when he was a drifter with Merle. Is Daryl going to revert back to his old ways? I think the show is trying to make us think that, especially with Beth’s whole speech last episode about how Daryl should stay who he is, not who he was. Right now, Daryl has no choice but to go along with them, considering that he is outnumbered. But I’m pretty sure that first chance he gets, he’s going to sneak off to try to find Beth.
Looks like the next episode is focusing only on Tyreese’s group, with includes Carol, Judith, Mika, and Lizzie. Does everyone make it through the episode alive? We shall see!
Scenes from The Walking Dead, Season 4 Episode 14: The Grove
Here are scenes from the next episode of The Walking Dead, titled The Grove: