Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 4 of The Following, titled Family Affair, where Joe drops in on an old friend, Max continues to help Hardy with his investigation, and Lily tries to get Emma to warm up to her so that she will tell Joe to come to them! Following the recap, Violet shares her thoughts on the episode.
Episode Recap of The Following, Season 2 Episode 4: Family Affair
- Joe and Mandy visit one of Joe’s followers, Jana, who lives in an upscale suburban neighborhood. Hardy thinks Lily and her people are trying to lure Joe out. Hardy’s niece, Max, offers to help him. The FBI discovers that Lily is a billionaire, and that Lily adopted the twins, although there is no adoption record.
- Lily and Luke meet up with Mark and Emma at a country estate. Lily seems to have three other adopted children who she has brought in from out of the country. We find out that Roderick had arranged for Joe to go to Jana after his supposed death.
- Giselle breaks into the place where David is staying and kills him with a garrote. Meanwhile, David’s lawyer will not allow the FBI to enter his apartment. Believing that David is not in his apartment, Hardy asks Max to help him figure out where David is staying.
- Hardy loses his undercover FBI tails. Weston visits Max at work to warn her to stop helping Hardy. Lily tries to get Emma to warm up to her. Jana gives Joe a package with cash, credit cards, and ID, while she works on making a fake passport for him.
- As Giselle leaves the place where David is staying, Hardy enters and finds David dead on the floor. He sees Giselle as she drives off, and snaps a picture of the license plate. Joe calls Emma, and she tells him it’s safe with Lily and the twins.
- Hardy has Max track Giselle’s car. Mendez has Hardy arrested. Joe asks Jana about “Corbin,” and Jana goes to retrieve a file. Meanwhile, Mandy asks if Joe is going to kill Jana, but Joe says no, and gives her a lecture about death and killing.
- Max finds the car at Grand Central Station, and recognizes Giselle sitting nearby, so sits at a table near her. Mendez and Weston question Hardy, but let him go because they’d rather follow him. Max notifies Hardy of where she is.
- Emma is very emotional upon reuniting with Joe in the woods. Against Hardy’s wishes, Max follows Giselle and tries to arrest her, but Giselle beats her up and runs into the train station. Hardy and Max split up and search for her in the terminals. Giselle and Hardy fight, but she is able to get away on the train.
- Jana appears to be Mendez’s ex and a former FBI agent, and they have joint custody of their children. Joe is brought into the compound to meet Lily. Max informs Hardy that she managed to get on the train with Giselle and has her in sight.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 4 of The Following: Family Affair
Hardy’s niece being brought into this season still feels really random. We get a little bit of some background info this episode, learning that Hardy’s brother, Max’s father, had died at some point, and that Hardy and Max hadn’t talked since his death until last year. I suppose that was meant to explain why we never heard of her before, since they weren’t speaking during the events of last season. But it’s still unclear why they did start speaking again, and why they’re all of a sudden so close now. Was it just that he sought her out to help out with his Joe Carroll investigation? Or did she reach out to him? Is it possible that she’s just another Joe Carroll follower? At this point, you come to expect pretty much anyone and everyone to be a Joe Carroll follower, so that wouldn’t surprise me. Oh, and did anyone else sense a possible love connection between Max and Weston happening at some point this season?
From the phone conversation that Mendez had with Jana, it sounded like they were previously in a relationship, had children, but are no longer in a relationship, and have joint custody over the children. It seems like they were both in the FBI, but Mendez pressured Jana to quit, possibly to take care of the kids, and that this caused bitterness between the two, ultimately leading to their breakup. This is just another example of how deeply infiltrated Joe’s followers are. Even though Jana is no longer in the FBI, it appears that she still has connections and the know-how to get Joe what he wants. One thing that I would like to know is, what is this “Corbin” thing that Joe asked her about?
Things are going to start getting interesting really soon, now that Joe is back in the picture, and has met up with his new followers. I’m curious to see how Joe and Lily will work together, and what they plan to do next. Will they implement this “Corbin” plan, or will that come later? You can be sure that whatever they do, it will soon involve Ryan Hardy. However, in the scenes from the next episode, it looks like Joe might not get along so well with these new people, as we see Emma trying to convince him that they’re all crazy. On the other hand, who’s to say that Joe will even take Emma’s advice on that? Maybe he’ll just think Emma is crazy, and a threat, and end up offing her, since he told Mandy that you kill someone if they are a threat. After all, he didn’t even trust Emma enough to let her in on the plan of him faking his death, nor did he let her know he was still alive until just now, so maybe he’s been wanting to get rid of her for awhile.
In any case, I’m looking forward to Joe’s next move, as well as Hardy’s reaction!
Scenes from The Following, Season 2 Episode 5: Reflection
Here are scenes from the next episode of The Following, titled Reflection:
What did you think of Season 2 Episode 4 of The Following, titled Family Affair? Share your thoughts in the comments below!