Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 9 of Defiance, titled Painted From Memory, where we find out the truth behind what happened to Kenya! Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Defiance episode recap for Painted From Memory? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Defiance episode, Painted From Memory, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of Defiance, Season 2 Episode 9: Painted From Memory
- Nolan questions Kenya as to what she remembers. It seems she was only held by her captive for 2-3 weeks, but can’t remember anymore than that, though she’s been missing for a year. Stahma is shocked to see Kenya walk into the NeedWant.
- Irisa calls Nolan and tells him that Sukar needs her help. Meanwhile, she is standing with her army of victims, preparing for some sort of pilgrimage. Meanwhile, Tommy punches Nolan for sleeping with Berlin.
- When Kenya encounters Stahma in the market, she admits that she doesn’t even remember that there was anything between them. Kenya goes to the police station and Nolan has some items for her to look at to try to jog her memory. A hammer makes her remember floating in water inside of a glass container, and someone breaking her out. Her captor with the goggles is there and kills a couple of humans. She remembers one of the victims had a screaming eagle tattoo.
- Nolan shows Berlin’s tattoo to Kenya, and she recognizes it, though the one she saw had three heads. Berlin says that means they were a division of the E-Rep.
- Datak and Stahma hike out to where Stahma buried Kenya’s body under a patch of flowers. But it seems that the flowers have spread quite a bit. Meanwhile, Pottinger and Doc Yewll discuss whatever plan they’re up to, and how not to get caught. Yewll says she’ll perform a chemical lobotomy on Kenya. Yewll goes to Kenya and tells her she can perform a procedure that will bring back all her memories.
- Rafe’s son Quentin returns to town after visiting his mother, who he thought was dead until the end of last season. He’s still bitter at his father.
- As Yewll begins the procedure, Kenya starts to remember being in the water again, and someone wearing a mask is looking in at her. Yewll frantically tries to inject the IV. The person starts to take off the mask and she can see a face – it appears to be Doc Yewll, but Kenya panics and unhooks herself from everything before she recognizes the face. Yewll insists on continuing, but Amanda and Kenya leave.
- Amanda talks to Pottinger about the fact that the E-Rep was performing secret experiments on her sister, and she’s going to find out who did it. Meanwhile, Datak and Stahma dig up Kenya’s bones. The next day, Stahma tells Amanda that she received information that Kenya is dead, and the Kenya that returned is an impostor. Amanda thinks it’s a lie, though.
- Nolan questions Kenya more about what she remembers. She starts to try to get it on with Nolan, but then he sees that her scars are gone. He tells her to stay there, and that he’ll be right back. We see a flashback to Yewll and Pottinger looking at Kenya in the water tank. It turns out that she is really an Indogene who has been implanted with Amanda’s memories. Kenya rips off a piece of scalp, and sees the scaly Indogene skin underneath.
- Nolan finds Amanda and points out that Kenya only remembers things that Amanda was around for. They go to Amanda’s room, but Kenya is gone. Nolan convinces Amanda that Kenya is an Indogene. Meanwhile, Kenya has taken Amanda’s gun and gone to Doc Yewll, who explains that she was a kidnapped Indogene, and that she only has a couple months to live. Pottinger enters, takes Kenya’s gun, and points it at her. It seems the plan was for Pottinger to fake a dramatic rescue, which would win Amanda over. Pottinger shoots Kenya, they get into a tussle, and both Kenya and Yewll run off.
- Amanda finds Kenya at the safe, and tries to convince her to stay with her, but she’s not interested, and leaves. Pottinger pins everything on Yewll. Meanwhile, Yewll goes to Datak for help.
- Amanda holds a memorial for Kenya, who has hopped on a caravan headed across the country. Rafe and Datak take Yewll underground to her new home. Meanwhile, we see someone burn the goggle mask that Kenya’s captor wore — then we see that it’s Rafe’s son, Quentin.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 9 of Defiance: Painted From Memory
Well, that mystery was solved quickly. Not only did we find out what really happened to Kenya, but we also find out what Pottinger and Yewll have been up to. This whole time, all the plotting, letting Yewll out of prison, planting the defective ego into Amanda, was so that Yewll could make a fake Kenya, so that Pottinger could plan a fake rescue of her, so that he could win over Amanda. Really? Seems rather elaborate to me. Was all that really worth all the trouble that they’ve been putting the town through? Was it worth releasing Datak? What’s Pottinger’s move now?
We also discover that it was actually Rafe’s son, Quentin, who was the guy wearing the goggle mask that was holding Kenya captive, and working with the Votanis Collective. That’s weird, aren’t members of the VC usually Votans…? Why is Quentin part of this? Is he really that angry at his father about his mother that he rebelled this much? Speaking of Rafe, I don’t like how he seems to be under Datak’s thumb. All to get weapons? He hates Datak, yet they’ve been all buddy buddy lately, and now to the point that he’s helping Datak hide Doc Yewll!
We only caught a short glimpse of Irisa this episode, but it looks like she’s up to something pretty big. Apparently she has amassed a small army of victims who she has killed and come back to life, who have also gone on to do that to others. And now there’s some sort of pilgrimage on its way to Defiance. To do what? I guess we’ll see next episode!
I feel like this episode was the start of this season finally paying off, and it looks like it’ll only get better from here! Bring it on.
Josh’s Thoughts: Defiance, Season 2 Episode 9: Painted From Memory
Scenes from Defiance, Season 2 Episode 10: Bottom of the World
Here are scenes from the next episode of Defiance, titled Bottom of the World: