Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 7 of Defiance, titled If You Could See Her Through My Eyes, where someone is taking the eyes of Votans, and Irisa meets the man from her flashback! Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Defiance episode recap for If You Could See Her Through My Eyes? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Defiance episode, titled If You Could See Her Through My Eyes, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of Defiance, Season 2 Episode 7: If You Could See Her Through My Eyes
- Datak has sex with Jalina, the Tarr house servant. The next morning, he awakens to find her dead body outside his door, with her eyes gouged out. Yewll refuses to help Datak hide the body. Rafe helps Datak get rid of Jalina’s body by leaving it for a hellbug to eat.
- Irisa slits her arm and has a flashback to the spaceship. Her arms heals itself. She sketches the face of the man from the flashback. Rynn sees the sketch and introduces her to the man, named Kai. He doesn’t recognize her, though.
- Stahma informs Nolan that Jalina is missing. He asks Irisa about it, but she says she doesn’t know anything.
- Alak sees the courtship gem that Christie got from the Castithan club, and walks out angry. Dierdre reassures Christie that she’s doing the right thing, and tells Christie about her past. Later, Dierdre tells Alak what Christie has been up to.
- Amanda confronts Viceroy Mercado about why he sent Pottinger away. Mercado suggests that Amanda could replace Pottinger as mayor, but she declines, not wanting to betray Pottinger.
- Datak informs Stahma of Jalina’s death, and insists on handling it internally as a family.
- When Rynn doesn’t show up for a meeting with Kai, he and Irisa become worried. Nolan investigates Rynn’s disappearance and finds signs of a struggle and that she was drugged.
- Datak gives his men money to ask around town to find out what happened to Jalina. His men say they’re working for Stahma, not him. Meanwhile, Alak finds Christie in costume at the Castithan dance club and is furious. She decides to stay there.
- Yewll tips off Datak to check out Professor Lambert, who is wearing pink contact lenses he got from the black market, supposedly harvested from cadavers. Datak and Rafe find Lambert at his house, and he tells them he got the corneas from a doctor. Meanwhile, we see a man about to cut Rynn’s eyes out. Yewll gives Nolan a list of other surgical doctors in town.
- Christie spends more time with Mercado at the Castithan club, and admits that she doesn’t recognize him. She tells him to call her Stahma.
- Irisa and Nolan find Rynn just before the doctor cuts out Rynn’s other eye, and the doctor stabs Irisa and runs off, only to run into Datak and Rafe. Datak stabs the doctor, who says he did it for money. Then Datak uses his thumbs to gouge the man’s eyes out. Nolan arrives to find the “citizen’s arrest” and Nolan sees that Irisa is completely healed.
- Dierdre seduces Alak at the NeedWant, and refuses his money.
- Irisa kisses Kai, which causes them both to have a flashback about seizing the spaceship. He is surprised and confused as he gets into the caravan and leaves town.
- The episode ends with Mercado serenading Christie at the Castithan club. Meanwhile, Datak and Stahma say goodbye to Jalina, as Rafe watches, and Alak and Dierdre have sex over at the NeedWant. Also, Nolan tackles Irisa, cuts her hand, and watches it heal, then Irisa explains that Irzu said she’d kill Nolan if Irisa told him the truth.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 7 of Defiance: If You Could See Her Through My Eyes
Ummm, didn’t Tommy break up with Berlin last episode because he wanted to help Irisa? Where was he this whole episode?? Seems like this was an instance where she really would have needed his help! What, they couldn’t have him around with her chasing Kai around because he might get jealous? But isn’t that what the show wants, to add more drama as a result of a love triangle? I don’t know, but the absence of Tommy was really strange considering the events of last episode.
So Christie gets caught in the act of dressing up as a Castithan, thanks to Dierdre tattling on her to Alak. Apparently that was her plan all along, pretend to be Christie’s friend, convince her to start dressing up Casti and going to the Casti club, out her to Alak, and then take Alak for herself. Pretty elaborate plan, that actually seemed to all work out in her favor. How did she know how Alak would react? What if he actually appreciated the gesture, like Dierdre made it seem to Christie he would? Does Christie really like Mercado? It seems really weird that she would like this much older man, and that he’s the only one she hangs out with there. Is everyone there dressing up Casti? Or are there actual Castithans there?
This was a pretty brutal episode in terms of the eye stuff. Ewww. Shudder. Though very reminiscent of a certain Game of Thrones episode… But I digress. Yewll mentioned that contact lenses haven’t been made for 30 years. That got me thinking – if that’s true, then why don’t we see more people wearing glasses? Or does everyone just happen to have perfect vision? I guess you could make the argument that glasses probably aren’t being made either, but couldn’t they just find old pairs of glasses? Might be more of a problem for those requiring prescription glasses, but at least glasses can be used pretty much forever, whereas contacts have to be thrown out every so often.
I’m glad Nolan knows the truth now. Even though Irisa didn’t actually tell Nolan about Irzu, will Irzu still follow through with her threat to kill Nolan, despite the loophole?
Finally, who is this guy Kai? What is his connection to Irisa? How were they on some spaceship together all those years ago? Irisa was adopted by Nolan as a young child, so she could have come from anywhere, but this guy claims to have been born in Tallahassee and is pretty sure of himself. Were they reincarnated somehow? Definitely interested in the history of this storyline. The spaceship they were on looked pretty cool, and I’d like to see more of this aspect of the show.
Josh’s Thoughts: Defiance, Season 2 Episode 7: If You Could See Her Through My Eyes
Scenes from Defiance, Season 2 Episode 8: Slouching Towards Bethlehem
Here are scenes from the next episode of Defiance, titled Slouching Towards Bethlehem: