Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 3 of Defiance, titled The Cord and the Ax, where Bertie goes missing, and Nolan suspects Irisa is involved, while Pottinger makes a deal with Dr. Yewll. Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts on the episode.
Don’t need the Defiance episode recap for The Cord and the Ax? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Defiance episode, titled The Cord and the Ax, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of Defiance, Season 2 Episode 3: The Cord and the Ax
- Christie is pregnant. Rafe warns Alak to stop his involvement in his family’s gang now that he is going to be a father.
- Irisa awakens sitting on top of Bertie’s dead body with no memory of what happened. She hides the body in the woods. Nolan questions where Irisa was all night, but she’s not talking.
- Pottinger uses Yewll’s finger to open the secret safe in her lab, and finds a book.
- Rafe notifies Nolan that Bertie is missing, and Nolan questions Pottinger. They go for a walk, and Pottinger tells Nolan he fancies Amanda. When Berlin and Irisa look through security footage to find out what happened to Bertie, an electrical burst suddenly shorts out all the equipment.
- Alak visits Datak in prison to tell him he wants to take a step back from the family business, and Datak figures out that Stahma is really the one running things, and that she is keeping him there. When Alak returns home, Stahma gives him Datak’s knife, and tells him they can never allow Datak to come home.
- Nolan finds Irisa’s bloody gloves
- Pottinger gives Yewll her finger back, and offers her probation to accomplish what she says she can in the book he found. He lets her have an assistant. She chooses Datak, and they both leave the prison.
- Amanda gets high on Adreno and beats up a patron who was causing trouble at the NeedWant. She later goes to Pottinger’s office to confess that she uses Adreno, then they partake of it together.
- Irisa visits Sukar, who encourages her to let Irzu take over. The gold and silver strands come out of her mouth and go into Sukar’s mouth. She awakens over Sukar’s dead body. Despite Irzu’s protests, Irisa shoots herself, and has a flashback of herself and a male Irathient on a ship. Irisa awakens in great pain as her body heals. Bertie finds Irisa, and Irisa is relieved to see Bertie alive.
- Nolan and Rafe pick up Irisa and Bertie, and Nolan suspects he’s not getting the truth. Irisa later tells Nolan she’d tell him the truth if she could. One of Irisa’s victims makes a victim of her own.
- Stahma and Alak are surprised to see Datak home. He tries to drown Stahma in the bathing tub, and Alak tries to fight him off. He eventually lets her go.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 3 of Defiance: The Cord and the Ax
Kind of a weird episode. We finally get to see exactly what is happening to these people that Irisa is killing, and of course, those metallic strand things are the cause of all this. Although, we also find out that the victims don’t stay dead, they come back to life. Not only that, but now that the metallic strands have spread to them, they want to go around inserting the metallic strands into other people, just like Irisa is doing. But what exactly are these metallic strands? What do they do? Is the person who died and came back still the same person, or something completely different? And what is up with Irisa’s flashbacks to the spaceship? What does it all mean? Oh, and we also discover that Irisa is pretty much immortal thanks to the metallic strands, which apparently heal her if she tries to kill herself. Can we assume that her victims have the same immortality as a result of the metallic strands as well? It seems like this is some kind of alien virus that is going to spread itself around Earth.
I can’t believe Pottinger let Datak out of prison so easily. Apparently whatever that book says Dr. Yewll can do is pretty important to Pottinger to let him out. What could it possibly be? And why would Yewll even want to help Datak? She doesn’t seem to like him very much. In any case, the Tarr household seems like it’s in for a bumpy ride. Stahma is obviously not thrilled that Datak is back, though she pretended to be, and Datak’s obviously pissed about everything he’s been through, and the fact that Stahma’s been trying to take over things. I’m guessing he’s going to put a stop to that real fast.
Hoping we get some more insight into Irisa’s situation. The answer could be really interesting!
Josh’s Thoughts: Defiance, Season 2 Episode 3: The Cord and the Ax
Scenes from Defiance, Season 2 Episode 4: Beasts of Burden
Here are scenes from the next Defiance episode, titled Beasts of Burden: