Violet recaps Season 2 Episode 11 of Defiance, titled Doll Parts, where Nolan deputizes Amanda to investigate a murder, while he goes off to find Irisa. Following the recap, both Violet and Josh share their thoughts about the episode.
Don’t need the Defiance episode recap for Doll Parts? Click here to jump directly to Violet’s thoughts on the episode!
To see Josh’s thoughts on this week’s Defiance episode, Doll Parts, click here to get directly there!
Episode Recap of Defiance, Season 2 Episode 11: Doll Parts
- Someone murders Deirdre (“Treasure Doll”) by pushing her off the arch. Amanda identifies the body, and has a flashback to when Deirdre encouraged her to keep running the NeedWant. Nolan tells Amanda he doesn’t have time to look for the murderer because he’s dealing with Irisa, so he deputizes Amanda, who gets to work on the investigation.
- Amanda questions Alak in the arch, and he denies that he was having sex with her. Berlin finds one of her old surveillance cameras there, but the memory card is missing. Berlin tells Amanda that she and Nolan aren’t involved anymore, ever since he thought he lost Amanda.
- Nolan finds Irisa’s camp and observes from afar, but Tommy finds him, and Nolan realizes that whatever infected Irisa has infected Tommy too. When Nolan taunts Tommy to shoot him, the metal strands that were in him come out of his mouth.
- Tommy, back to normal, speculates that Irzu’s tendrils don’t work on humans. Nolan tells Tommy that the tendrils are sections of ark brain, Kaziri, an ancient spaceship buried beneath the city – an AI pretending to be a god. He also references the Votan rapture. Nolan has some positronic charges that will scramble ark brain.
- Amanda finds the camera’s memory card in Deirdre’s room. She also looks at Treasure Doll’s client journal and sees that Datak just visited last night, so she searches his place and questions him, and why he would need her services all of sudden. He says, “It was a family matter.” Amanda has a flashback to a conversation she had with Deirdre and figures out that Alak was sleeping with her.
- Irisa agrees to see Nolan alone. She lashes out against him, calling him a monster. They argue, and demands his daughter back, but Sukar steps in. Meanwhile, Tommy secretly sets up the positronic charges outside the tent, while Nolan picks a fight with Sukar and everyone watches.
- A servant girl shows Stahma a bloody microphone that she found under Alak’s bed. Meanwhile, Amanda and Berlin have gone to question Alak at work, and show him the video from the memory card of him and Deirdre having sex, and of him threatening to drop her off the arch. Amanda takes him to jail.
- Stahma goes on a food walk to bring food to dying. She offers to take on a man’s daughter as a handmaiden upon his death in exchange for something.
- Tommy tries to remotely set off the positronic charges while Nolan and Sukar fight, but it’s not working. Sukar gets Nolan in a headlock, and finally Tommy is able to set off the charges, which knocks out the Votans.
- Amanda has a flashback to a conversation wherein she encouraged Deirdre to fight for the guy she wanted. Alak insists he didn’t kill her. Just then, the dying man Stahma brought food to comes into the police station to confess to the murder, and hands over the bloody microphone as proof. Meanwhile, Stahma reports to Datak that she just go their son out of trouble. They realize neither one of them killed Dierdre.
- Alak comes home to find abortion poison and asks Christie about it. Christie tells him that Treasure Doll invited her to the arch that morning and put the poison in her drink, but she smelled it due to her heightened senses. As Christie turned to leave, Deirdre tried to attack her with the microphone, but Christie ducked, got the microphone from her, and hit her in the head with it. They fought some more, until Christie threw her through the arch window.
- As Nolan and Tommy drive back to town with an unconscious Irisa in the back seat, she wakes up and uses her powers to stop the car. As Nolan lays unconscious at the wheel, Irisa throws Tommy out of the car. Tommy tells her he loves her, and she stabs him in the gut. Irzu tells Irisa to cut Nolan’s throat, but she refuses, and walks off.
- Nolan wakes up, and has Tommy put pressure on the wound, as he fixes up a way to drag Tommy back to town. Meanwhile, Amanda watches as the Tarr household welcomes their new handmaiden.
Violet’s Thoughts on Season 2 Episode 11 of Defiance: Doll Parts
This is actually probably one of my favorite episodes of Defiance. Most of the time, I’m just nonchalantly watching an episode, but this time, I was actually intrigued by the “who done it” mystery. At first, I assumed it was Stahma, since she had witnessed Alak and Deirdre arguing last episode, and went to Datak for help with the situation, though he didn’t seem like he would be much help, so it made sense that she would take matters into her own hands, either by doing it herself, or ordering one of her men to do it. I never thought it would have been Christie, and even watching it back a second time, she covers it up very well. I guess she got her wish to be more like Stahma. Although I would make a case of self defense for Christie, since Deirdre is the one who first tried to poison her, and then came at her from behind and tried to hit Christie with the microphone. Christie merely fought back.
Sure doesn’t take much to become a deputy in Defiance, now does it? Nolan easily hands off a deputy badge to Amanda without a second thought, and runs off to find Irisa. It was also surprising to see all of the flashbacks between Amanda and Deirdre. I never realized they were such good friends. It also feels like it was partly Amanda’s fault that all this happened, since she’s the one who encourage Deirdre to fight for what she wants. Though I’m sure if Amanda knew exactly how Deirdre planned to fight, she wouldn’t have supported it!
We also see Tommy reject the tendrils that Irisa had transferred to him. Seems like it’s as I expected, that humans aren’t compatible. Nolan also spouts off a lot of stuff about the spaceship underground being an AI that wants to take over the world – was this this first we’re hearing about this? Or was this something that was brought up before, maybe during last season? Because I don’t remember it. Going back to my comment last episode about Sarah Connor, this fits right in with her agenda: stop the machines from taking over the world! Speaking of Sarah Connor, where were Pilar and Quentin this episode anyway?
So what happens next? Irisa goes back to her cult and stages a global takeover? Nolan brings Tommy back to town and they prepare for war? Will Tommy live? What about Doc Yewll, who’s been living underground, has she had any contact with the ancient spaceship? Guess we’ll find out in the 2 hour season finale!
Josh’s Thoughts: Defiance, Season 2 Episode 11: Doll Parts
Scenes from Defiance, Season 2 Episode 12: All Things Must Pass and Episode 13: I Almost Prayed
Here are scenes from the 2 hour season finale of Defiance: